So you’ve decided that it’s time for a little home improvement, and you like the idea of wooden floors over the more traditional carpet option. With so many option on the market, just what are the benefits of choosing hardwood flooring?
- Using wood in general is far more eco-friendly than opting for other surface types.
- It’s hardwearing and will last for decades. Can the same be said for carpet?
- Hardwood is easy to maintain and keep clean. It will not trap dust and other allergens like carpet will, and it requires very little maintenance to look good.
- Wood creates a healthy environment, not just because of the lack of allergens, but because it removed the breading ground you would get from food spillage – you just wipe and move on.
- Wooden flooring adds significant value to your home when it comes to selling.
- Your home will have a more inviting look, and rooms generally have a warmer look and feel.
- Over time the cost of investing in a hardwood floor is similar to other options of similar quality.
- There is a wide selection of wood to choose from, each offering a different look and feel to your home.
- If a quality wood has been used you will have uniform thickness and straight boards through your home.
- With just the right amount of finish the flooring be protected, and the natural beauty of the wood will shine through. Not the plastic look seen with cheaper finishes.
The overall look and feel for your flooring will depend on the type of hardwood and the finish you choose. Just like trees themselves, each type of hardwood has a distinct look. This will come across in your flooring selection.
Like any other purchase you could make for the home, you normally get what you pay for. Wood is no different. You need to think of it as an investment in your home. Something that will not only be enjoyed by you and your family, but will also pay for itself when the time comes to sell the property.